Hey there full term princess! 🙂
Let’s see what has been going on with you the last two weeks!
- The only organ still to mature is the lungs.
- You may drop into the birth canal. This is also known as lightening. I don’t know if you will do this because I have carried you very low since day 1. People keep telling me “I’ve dropped” but in reality you have always sat low in my pelvis.
- In week 36 of pregnancy, fat is dimpling your elbows and knees, and forming creases in the neck and wrists.
- Your skin is growing smooth and soft.
- Your gums are very rigid at week 36 of pregnancy.
- You have a fully developed pair of kidneys and your liver has begun processing some waste products.
- Your bowel is filled with meconium, the sticky, black tarry substance which will form your first bowel motion. This is made up of the vernix caseosa you’ve been shedding and also the lanugo you”re starting to lose.
- Your skull is a complex structure and the bones within it will not fuse until you are older. During birth, it is important that your skull can mold and adapt to the shape of the birth canal.
- Your average size is now 18.66 inches and 5.78 pounds. Between now and birth you will gain about an ounce a day!
Google image search of what you look like on the inside at 36 weeks:
- You are officially full term now but can still benefit from extra days inside me. 🙂
- You continue to practice breathing movements.
- At 37 weeks of pregnancy, your hand grasp is firm.
- A few weeks ago, you would move your eyes toward light. Now you actually turn your body towards light outside the uterus.
- This week, as the uterine wall stretches and thins allowing more light to permeate, you develop definite daily activity cycles. I like to flip my shirt up and bathe you in sunlight when I can. I don’t know why I do this…instinctual? Hoping this helps you distinguish day from night 🙂
- Your are packing on the weight this week, around 500 grams in fact. I am so hungry all the time and loading up so you can build up your fat stores!
- You don’t have much space to move your whole body around now, but you are able to pivot yourself into more comfortable positions. When you are feeling compressed you are sure to let me know with a good jab or kick and you’d better believe I move! Haha.
- Lanugo, that soft downy hair which has been covering your skin is being reabsorbed this week. Much of it will end up in your gut and will be included along with other waste products in its meconium, the first bowel motion. Vernix Caseosa, the white greasy coating on your skin will also be reabsorbed.
- At 37 weeks pregnant, your average size is about 6.3 pounds and 19.1 inches in length.
Google image search of what you look like on the inside this week:
Happy growing my love! I hope you’re still cozy enough in there to hang out for a couple more weeks. I love you so much!!!