The first week in our third trimester has some exciting stuff for you princess! Let’s see what you are up to this week:
- Eyebrows and eyelashes are now very noticeable!
- The hair on your head is growing longer. Some babies are born with almost none at all, while others have a full head. I was born bald, but your daddy had tons. I wonder what you will have?!
- Your eyes are completely formed now.
- Your body is getting plump and rounded. Most of that increase is muscle tissue and bone. Fat will be added during this last trimester.
- Muscle tone is improving. I should know…you kick, jab, roll, swim, dance ALL the time now!! 🙂 In fact…you’re dancing right now. Love it.
- Your lungs are capable of breathing now.
- You can recognize my voice now and will be soothed by it after you are born. Swoon.
- By 28 weeks, your eye can produce tears.
- Most of the part of your nose are fully operational, with all components required for a functioning sense of smell in place. You’ll use this when you are born to smell me and your daddy! 🙂
- More REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep in week 28, which is so important for your brain. Studies have shown that newborns spend a large portion of their time in REM sleep as well, it’s so important for proper development and growth.
- Your brain is changing from being soft and smoothly rounded to having the familiar sulci and gyri on its surface. Believe it or not, your experiences inside me are helping to shape and mold your brain!
- You weigh in now at 2.2 pounds and are 14.8 inches long.
And as always a google image search of what you look like on the inside this week!
I found this picture and loved it because it shows what a 28 weeks prego belly should look like. If anything, compared to this picture, I’m on the large side! It makes me so happy! I know all my measurements are spot on and I’m completely normal (according to my doctor), but people’s comments of “omg you’re so small…are you sure you’re 7 months pregnant??” are really annoying. Yes I am the normal size. Maybe us Americans are entirely too used to being fat. And that’s sad, really. Okay, enough ranting for the day. 🙂
What a great developmental week, monkey! So far this trimester is exciting! You’re finishing up baking and working on those final touches! Keep it up my love!!