During your last week of the second trimester, my little princess, let’s see what you’ve been up to, shall we?!
- Your brain continues its rapid growth this week. Woo Woo!
- Your response to sound grows more consistent now, when the network of nerves to your ear is complete.
- Your sweet lungs continue to grow and prepare for functioning outside of mommy. For now, all your oxygen needs are still met via the placenta.
- You continue to take small breaths and although you’re only breathing in water and not air, it’s still good practice for when you’re born!
- Your eyelids are now open more and you can now distinguish between light and dark. By 27 weeks, your highly developed eye now contains light-sensing cells called rods and cones.Rods allow your eye to detect very low levels of light, while cones detect color and produce sharp, highly focused images. You will have over 100 million rods and 7 million cones in each eye!
- Your retinas have formed.
- The literature says you will grow over an inch this week alone!
- Your intestinal lining contains all adult cell types.
- If I eat something sweet now, it in turns passes to your amniotic fluid and increases your rate of fetal swallowing. In contrast, decreased fetal swallowing follows if I eat something bitter.You might even make a facial expression in response!I’ve read that my dietary intake can reach you pretty quickly. For instance, my amniotic fluid assumes the odor of garlic within 45 minutes of ingesting garlic!
- Your have also learned how to soothe yourself and can now suck your thumb when you want to. This is not so much an involuntary act from 27 weeks on.
- You are about 14.4 inches and 1.9 pounds.
Here’s what you look like on the inside this week (google image search):
You are so beautiful and so perfect my little monkey! I can’t believe we are going to be entering the third trimester tomorrow!! Here we go…… 😀