Let’s see what’s been going on with you during your officially viable week, shall we princess? Oh and you have been kicking, punching, dancing up a storm in the last 24 hours. In fact, you decided to be my alarm clock this morning haha. You’re so cute!! 🙂
- Your 2 sides of the brain begin to differentiate asymmetrically as early as 22 weeks. Each hemisphere is specialized for different functions and it’s now organizing itself to be able to sub-serve those functions. I.love.your.brain.
- You are making breathing motions about 14% of the time, drawing amniotic fluid inside the lungs.Your fetal respiratory rate can rise as high as 44 inhale/exhale cycles per minute at 22 to 26 weeks.This rate changes according to my (maternal) carbon dioxide (CO2) levels, strongly suggesting that the respiratory center in your brainstem already detects and responds to changes in CO2 levels in the blood. This respiratory response to CO2 levels is similar to that seen in newborns and adults! You’re fancy baby.
- Bring on the bulk! You gain about 6 ounces this week. Your weight is in muscle, bone mass and organs.
- Your body begins to fill out with fat and you are increasingly becoming more like a newborn.
- Mature taste buds begin to form. If I drinks something strange or bitter, you may be observed showing your distaste. 🙂
- Little creases have appeared on your palms that I will kiss incessantly. The muscular coordination of your hands has improved as you suck your thumb.
- Over the next seven days your sweat glands will be forming in your skin.
- Your lungs are developing “branches” of the respiratory “tree” and cells that produce surfactant, a substance that helps the air sacs inflate easily.
- This week you are officially considered viable!!!
- You weigh 1.3 pounds and are 11.8 inches long — almost the length of a ruler!
Here are some google images of what you look like inside this fantastic week!
This last one is a little graphic but it’s a really awesome representation of what you would look like if you were born now…please don’t be born now 🙂 but I love knowing what you actually look like! Like a very tiny mini-human, but perfect in every way!
Week 24 has been the best yet! Keep on baking my little monkey!!!!! Smooches princess!